Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I cut my Sisterlocks!

Well, there is something to be said for being bored..  I saw a picture of myself, and realized that for me long locks are probably not going to work.  I didn't want Sisterlocks for the length, I wanted the freedom that comes with locks and the fact that I think locks are naturally beautiful.  I do not buy into the thinking that when a woman reaches a certain age long hair is no longer an option because my mother kept her hair long as well as some of my aunts.

However, for me long hair gave me a matronly appearance.  I usually do lots of investigating, reading and research before making up my mind but this time was different - or maybe it was that glass of wine!

I removed the link to an article about cutting Sisterlocks when I realized the author didn't have Sisterlocks and was probably promoting something else...  It really is common sense, don't trim too much, start with little snips and evaluate what you're doing as you go.  In other words, take your time.  Remember locks shrink so be cautious!

 
Armed with my Tweezerman scissors and following some basic information and a little common sense, I began snipping.  I didn't do an all over cut because my hair on the sides and top is much shorter that what I had in the back and that was the offending area...those long ends gave my hair the shape of a mullet...uh...yep, not a good look.

So, as you can see by the pics, I didn't cut a lot off - maybe 1 to 1.5 inches and a lot of my ends weren't locked yet which I was a little worried about but I did it anyway.  My ends are natural with no perm, so I was hoping that the hair above where I cut was pretty much on it's way to lockdom.  I read somewhere that hair locks from the root to the end and then begins to lock from the end to the scalp and keeps that pattern always locking towards the scalp.  Makes sense to me.  The other thing is that how bad could I mess this up?  I wasn't cutting large chunks of hair, just the back portion and then only about an inch at a time until I reached a point that I liked.

So, here are the pics.  My style is now more of a bob and I'm a happy camper!
Peace and blessings,
Evie



3 comments:

  1. It still looks great on you! Your hair seems to grow fast too! I like :) You are so brave. I would never cut my own hair...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I did it either, but I have been known to do all kinds of things to my hair...cut it, color it, etc. but I think locks are a completely different animal...I probably won't do it again... LOL! well, we'll see!

    So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you CUT your locks, we are shocked that you do not know about the Take Down Remover cream for taking out braids, weaves, twists or natural dreadlocks easier,faster. It detangles very matted tangled hair easy and safely.

    It also prevents hair breakage no matter how long your braids or weaves are in. It is great for women who are transitioning to natural hair from relaxers as well.

    It is not a water based or glycerine based product-so it works on every type of hair texture, every head, every time.
    You can get it in London at www.afrotherapy.com

    ReplyDelete