Well, it's official... I am taking the leap into the world of blogging. I have wanted to do this for awhile, but honestly I was intimidated. Did I have enough to share? What could I add that hadn't already been said? After reading so many blogs, I began to believe that maybe my voice could be added to the mix. I have laughed out loud at 2:00 a.m. at some of what I've read. I have been impressed with the wisdom, honesty and friendship that I've seen. I have been informed and in the process, I have learned so much about myself and my hair issues.
As a breast cancer survivor (twice), I felt that my story might help someone else, so today - my blog is born. I just realized that today is also my Dad's birthday. He's been gone for a long time, but his spirit remains with me. He was my original hair advocate. He always wanted my Mom to just leave my hair alone, but she demanded that it be as straight as possible...
After undergoing breast cancer treatment for the 2nd time in 10 years, I again had lost my hair. Now here it was the end of 2008. Literally, my last chemo treatment was on 12/31/08. I would study my bald head in the mirror. I waited impatiently for the first sign of new hair growth and when the tiny strands began to appear, this time I paid attention. I was so grateful! Each week I would check out my new hair and silently I promised to treat each strand with love and care.
When I decided that I wanted Sisterlocks, I felt at peace.
Let me go back to the first time I finished chemo - 10 years ago. As my hair grew in, I immediately went back to what I had always done...permed the life right out of my hair. My hair was always thick and wavy. Not necessarily what my Mom called nappy, but just a lot of hair to deal with, so she would press one half of my head and then I'd sit on the couch while she took a break. She could press my twin sisters entire head of hair in less time than it took her to do my one half! She made me sit still, near a fan so that I wouldn't sweat out what she had just pressed. Ah yes...memories.
When I was in college, I decided to go natural and grew a huge Afro. Angela Davis wannabe... that lasted until my hair grew longer and then would no longer stay in the round shape I wanted it to. It was huge and tended to split down the middle, leaving me less than happy. so...back I went to the pressing comb and later to perms.
I have had braids (once), a weave (once) and now I have a TWA that I'm quite proud of. I check the length every day knowing that soon I'll have enough to get Sisterlocks! I can't wait. I love the freedom that it will give me. The style options and just the beauty of the locs. I have been reading blogs until the wee hours of the morning, staring at beautiful locs, and developing a serious case of hair/loc envy!
When I wake up in the morning, I am amazed to feel how soft my natural hair is. I had no idea. It seems that I had lost touch with what my natural hair looked like, felt like, etc., it makes me wonder what else I've lost touch with.
I am sure that the journey will be interesting, so I will post pics to show my progress and count down to the day when my hair will be Sisterlocked!
Peace and Blessings,
Evie
Women Who Run Their Lives
1 year ago






Evie, I think you are on a great start to blogging, and I am so happy that you are making the choice to go forward with Sisterlocks. I will definitely be checking in on you, and I am also including my loctitians Web site address: http://www.natureelglorystudio.com/. Finding the right person to lay hands in your hair is VERY tough and moreso because this is a huge change and it's permanent. I stalked blogs, Web sites, and everything else until I found Valencia, my locitian, and her energy was/is JUST RIGHT. I hope that she can help you just as she has helped me ;-)
ReplyDeleteThank you! I appreciate your comments, and will definitely check out Valencia. I have to calm myself down because my hair is so short right now...
ReplyDelete*sigh* :- ( However, as soon as I have enough hair - I'm giving her a call! This is part of the process I know, and one of my lessons is patience!
Yes, it is all about patience! Before you know it, you will be sitting in her chair and wishing she was done...LOL! She takes her time so your locs will be just right! Good luck!
ReplyDelete